The Scientific Committee welcomes the submission of abstracts for presentation at the upcoming BASEL LIFE Meeting.
The regular abstract submission for BASEL LIFE 2019 is closed.
Notification letters will be sent out by the end of June 2019.
In order to standardise the abstract layout, we kindly ask you to read the guidelines carefully.
Topics for abstract submission
Authors are requested to select a topic under which they wish their abstract to be reviewed:
EMBO at BASEL LIFE:
- Microbiome as a driver of health and disease
- The emergence of infectious diseases
- Chronic inflammation: the common denominator of post-modern pathologies
- Regenerative medicine
- Computational biology, artificial intelligence, machine learning in precision medicine
- Genetic diseases: genome and epigenome
- Tissue regeneration, organoids without borders
[BC]2at BASEL LIFE:
- Single-cell data
- Evolutionary medicine
- Clinical population genomics
- Systems biology of disease
- Multi-level data integration
Innovation Forums at BASEL LIFE:
- Advances in 3R
- Aging and drug discovery
- Antibiotic resistance
- Artificial intelligence
- Cellular allergy
- Genome editing (CRISPR/Cas9) in drug discovery
- Innovating in healthcare – global health data sharing
- Microfluidics and microenvironment
- Peptide therapeutics
- Abstracts may be submitted only via the online submission system. Abstracts submitted via fax or e-mail will not be accepted.
- All abstracts must be submitted and presented in English. Please use UK English spelling.
- The abstract text may not be longer than 2500 characters (approx. 300 words), excluding authors, disclosures and the title, that may not be longer than 250 characters.
- Encore (previously presented, published) abstracts may be submitted for presentation.
- Following structure should be followed (except for case studies):
- All abbreviations must be defined the first time they appear in the text except in the title.
- Tables, charts and other graphics may not be included in the abstract.
- Should you wish to make corrections to an already submitted abstract or if you wish to submit other abstracts later, you may use your personal user code and password. Please note that alterations cannot be made after the above mentioned abstract deadline.
Posters will be displayed throughout the whole conference. A dedicated poster session for EMBO and [BC]2 participants will take place on Tuesday, 10 September from 17:30-19:00. The Innovation Forums session will take place on Wednesday 11 September form 16:45-17:45.
Poster flash talks
Flash talks will be organized on Tuesday, 10 September in collaboration with EMBO and [BC]2, and on Wednesday, 11 September by EMBO only. Poster flash talks are 2 minutes each and should encourage the audience to visit the presented poster during the poster sessions.
Oral presentations are specific to the [BC]2 conference. They will take place on Tuesday, 10 September and Wednesday, 11 September during the plenary sessions. Each talk will be 20 minutes (15 min presentation + 5 min Q&A). Submissions that have been submitted as oral presentation, but were not selected, are offered to present a poster instead.
Please refer to the scientific programme on our website for timing and pillars.
- The corresponding author is responsible for informing the co-authors about the status of the abstract. Please make sure that the corresponding/presenting author’s e-mail address as well as full name is correct.
- After having submitted your abstract, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail with the following information:
- Reference number of your abstract (for correspondence and questions that may arise)
- Your personal user code (e-mail address) and password.
- Authors should indicate their preferred presentation method:
- Poster presentation only
- Poster and flash talk presentation
- Oral presentation
- The presenting author of an accepted abstract must register and attend the congress. Poster presenters must be present and stand by their poster during the poster session.
Notification of authors
Abstracts are subject to approval by the Programme Committee and to final assignment for inclusion in the programme as an oral or poster presentation. Authors will be notified by e-mail (therefore it is essential that you indicate your correct e-mail address) in June 2019. Full instructions concerning the preparation and presentation will be included.
All accepted abstracts will be available 14 days before the congress (26 August 2019) on the BASEL LIFE website.
Prizes will be awarded to the best 3 poster presentations. All posters are listed for the prize, no additional allocation needed.
Young scientists travel grant
A limited number of travel grants are available for PhD students and post docs. During the abstract submission you may apply for a travel grant and shortly summarize why you need it. Travel grants are 500 CHF maximum and should be used to cover economy travel costs. The winners will be selected by the scientific organizers during the review process and will be notified 3-4 weeks after the abstract submission.